Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Everyone should dance

I've known this since I've been 3 years old, at least. This is one of the things that I am very positively sure about.



I've danced a lot.



I'm not saying that everyone has to be a "good" dancer, but everyone should dance.



One of the most recent laughing conversations I had with my friend, Sarah, was when she was telling me about her new jazz class for Moms. She had convinced her daughter's teacher to create a class for the moms, and she was so excited about it. I think she only got to go maybe 2 times before leaving town for her surgery, but she had a ball! Her descriptions of herself in the class, and then sharing her moves with her 5 year old daughter (a seasoned jazz girl, herself), were so funny. It seems that Sarah's moves weren't quite up to par, yet, according to her offspring. I even had Sarah convinced to take the mom's tap class in the Fall. I was going to give her my shoes; I wanted to get another kind anyway.



Again, the idea here is, don't wait! Sarah wasn't a dancer, never had been, but loved being around dance, and loved the idea of trying it herself. The gift of those couple of lessons that the other moms, the teacher, her daughter, and I received because of her doing it, is priceless.



I've danced for a lot of my life - I'm no professional at all, but I do love it. My Mom told me once that I seemed to be the most truly happy when I was dancing, and I think she was right.



In the last couple of weeks, I've gotten to fulfill one of the most important dreams of my life - to dance with my girls. Understand that we've been dancing together since they were in the belly, but now......now, they are big enough, that we can actually coreograph together, and perform!



Sunday, will be our neighborhood theater production, and my two girls along with my spare daughter next door, will be doing this dance. I am more proud and happy than I can hardly stand.



I have taken a break from my normal routine since July 7th, but I will go back. I normally take 2 ballet classes, a modern, and a tap class every week. I've just been too sad to go, and I've been trying to just feel what I feel, and take each half hour as it comes.



I will go back in September, and I will dance with my whole soul. I will do this for my friend. I will do it as beautifully as I possibly can. I will probably cry, but I will dance for Sarah.



For now, I am satisfied with silly performances by me in the basement for my girls. Yesterday, using the tv remote for a microphone, I did a very wild performance, complete with out of breath singing, to "Big, Blonde and Beautiful" for my youngest daughter.



Whatever makes us smile.

4 comments:

Hi Kooky said...

Great post. I love dancing too, and I don't do enough of it. I especially love the visual of you doing the "Big, Blonde and Beautiful" routine.

Cartwheeler said...

That's some visual, isn't it!

Cartwheeler said...

Ooooh...and my husband the 6'2" bald man with white beard does an awesome tap routine! Lots of shuffling, arms flailing, leaving the floor for frightful moments and facial expressions like no one else in the world!

Hi Kooky said...

I can only imagine! He seems so serene...