Saturday, August 2, 2008

Good things happen

So, the bad thing is that my wonderful friend Sarah, is gone from this earth, and from my life, and from so, so many other lives.

However, I am connecting with another friend of hers - a close friend from college days. Here's how it happened:

For the past maybe year, or so, I've been carrying around a rock in my purse, next to an important buckeye that I found with my Dad. The rock is a polished rose quartz that Sarah gave me. She gave it to me when I was having a little bit of a rough time (absolutely nothing compared to having cancer), with the nicest note. "My friend gave me this when I was diagnosed, and it has been a help to me already, so I hope it will bring you some peace and comfort." So, understand, she gave me her "healing the cancer rock."

I'm a rock lover, and I have held it countless times. Anyway, the day Sarah died, I was holding it nonstop, and I developed this terrible panic, that I might lose it. So, in a couple of days, I took it to a jeweler we know, and asked if he could make it into a necklace, quickly, which he did, and it's lovely.

I was hoping to figure out during the weekend of her services/parties, which friend gave it to her. I thought I remembered the name, and so I just asked this other friend. (Note that there were many, many, many friends present.) Yes, it had been her. She was totally gracious, when I said that I hoped she didn't mind if I was wearing it around my neck, now. She said, "No, I'm glad you have it; that's what it's for."

At the very end of the party honoring Sarah, as I was leaving, this friend came very directly toward me, saying, "You and I need to have a conversation. I feel like Sarah's telling me in my head that I should talk with you." So, of course, we did.

She lives many states away, but we've emailed, and now she's back for a visit, and to help take care of Sarah's kids for a while. I was so touched that she wanted to connect with me. I was feeling a little uneasy (during the first week of losing her) because I've only known Sarah for about 5 years, while many of her friends are from 20 years ago. I just wasn't a part of that group.

Anyway, I had another rose quartz made into a necklace for my new friend, which I know has to please Sarah, and I think my new friend was pleased, as well. She's a very cool person, and I sincerely hope to develop a long friendship with her.

I've realized for sure that it is definitely the quality, not the quantity, that's important. Friends come into our lives at different times and for different reasons. I only just wish that I could keep all of mine close to me all the time, and that none of them would ever have to leave.

In all the ways I can think of, I'm keeping you close, Sarah. You're a big part of who I am, and you're always in my heart.

1 comment:

Hi Kooky said...

A necklace - what a great idea for safekeeping.