Sunday, August 17, 2008

Best Friends

It has occurred to me that I should make something clear to readers regarding my friends.

I must keep this short (not always easy for me,) as I need to hurry to finish a 10th birthday gift for my daughter. Today is her birthday!

I want to clarify my use of the term "best friend."

First, in reference to Sarah - I use it easily and without hesitation, and used it with her while she was here with me. She was for sure my current best friend here in my town. She and I had become close so easily and naturally; friendship with her was absolutely easy. I could go on and on about this, and probably will later. Have no doubt that my relationship with her was very special - and, the best.


Secondly, in reference to my other best friends. You may be my best two friends that I grew up with, and still know and love so completely and intensely. You may be one of my three best college friends, who I still know and love so completely and intensely. You may be the one friend who I was a baby with, who I only talk to very rarely, but who I always fall right back into place with when we do connect. You may be one of my two best friends who moved away from my town, and who I still feel the loss of, here - and yes, still know and love so completely and intensely. You may be my amazing Aunt, whom I have always idolized. You may be the namesake of my daughter, whom I have also always idolized. You may even be one of my parents, step parents, or brother - all whom I love as only family can. You may be one of my in-laws, whom I've grown to love and appreciate over the last 15 years-each of you.

You may be another current, in town, wonderful in your individual way, incredible friend of mine, who I also love dearly. You may be a brand new friend. You may be a friend that is being taken to another level because of shared loss of Sarah. These people, my current friends and new friends, I am extremely grateful for. You have held me up.

All of you have.

I just wanted to clarify. I just wanted to make sure that people know that I don't use the term lightly, but that I do have more than one. I hope no one has felt slighted, and I pray that I haven't forgotten to list someone. I hope that if you are my friend, that you know that you are, and that I show and tell you enough that I love you.

And, now speaking of best friends - my two all time greats - my girls, Veggie and Cake, along with the bald man - are waiting! Get to go have a birthday day now!

(Please forgive my use/mis-use of the "who -s" and "whoms." I try to remember my grammar lessons, but I know that some of the knowledge fades - unlike my best friends!)

2 comments:

Hi Kooky said...

"Old friends... sat on their park bench like bookends..."

Whenever I hear or think of that song, I remember riding around in your car with you, long, long ago.

Cartwheeler said...

Oh............
I'm going to go dig that out. On second thought, I'm going to have to buy some Simon and Garfunkel cds, since I don't think I have a way to play tapes now.