Monday, November 10, 2008

I laid my a## on the line for Obama

While canvassing on election day, going to houses who had already confirmed that they were voting for Obama, I had a bit of an accident. I wasn't thinking about dogs being on porches. I was looking at my papers, wearing sunglasses, just happily marching right up onto someone's porch. I think all but about 2 of the families whose homes we went to were black families. As you probably know from my photos, I am a white woman. These people were not obviously wealthy of money. They were absolutely kind and welcoming. "Yes, they had already voted" (before 9:00 a.m.,) or "yes, they had their plan to vote today and a ride to the polling place," and "Thank you for coming, and it's fine if more people come after you."

At this particular house, one of my very first ones, as I began to knock on the door, I realized that sitting one foot away, right in front of me, was a large Boxer. (In my defense, he was the same brownish-grayish color of the house.)

So, I had my "Oh, crap!" moment in my mind. The dog was silent; I was silent. I slowly stepped backwards a few steps, turned to hobble down the uneven steps, only to NOT escape. As I recall, he gave one, brief "Are you crazy, lady, for just marching up onto my porch?" barkish noise, and one good pinch. I kept walking. OH MY GOSH, DID THAT HURT! But as the wife of a protection dog trainer, I know that he was just doing his job. If he really wanted me, he could have torn me to bits.

I went to the porch of the next door neighbor, where my fellow (62-year-old white guy) canvasser was, asked the lady if my shorts were in-tact, and they were. So, I continued my walk for about 4 hours with a very sore hiney. I did come home later, so thrilled about the experience of knocking doors, having had the most gracious and sincere welcome I've ever had in my fifteen years living in my town - truly, being inspired by the people I met and the cause we all felt so strongly about, all the time having bloody fang marks in my right cheek.

It's okay, and I'm proud to have done it. I wish I had given more time to the campaign. And by the way, I know it's over, but "YES, WE DID!" May this sign of unity in the nation and in the world be real and lasting for my girls and their kids, and for me! And, now we must continue to think, "Yes, we are."

1 comment:

Hi Kooky said...

YES YOU DID! I hope you're feeling better...