






Saw sun rise over English Channel from my bed, through the French doors that lead out to my balcony. We're in an 1868 hotel called the Grand, in Brighton. It is indeed grand. There is serious history in this hotel too. It was bombed in 1983 by the IRA while Margaret Thatcher was staying here. Crazy.
There is also a bizarre skeleton of what used to be an amazing pier here. It was built in the late 1800s as just a big pier to walk on. Then a big, majestic theater was built on it - maybe in the 20s. Anyway, it all fell into disrepair, so much that the middle of the bridge part fell into the ocean about 7 years ago (I think.) THEN...........some people were so frustrated at the city's unfulfilled promises to fix it all up again and restore the theater, that they burned the thing - twice. Holy cow! This thing is HUGE. So creepy to see the ruins, and so sad. It freaked me out to get a little bit close to it.
But enough of all this hideous news of bombings and arson. I had a wonderful day exploring, walking around, hearing the ocean and relaxing. After work was over for my man, we went out to a nice dinner at a Thai place called, "The King and I!" By the way the golden kitty continually waves its paw forward and back.
4 comments:
That bridge IS creepy. Beautiful hotel!
Also? I guessed that your shoes are Born, and I found them on Zappos. Now, to justify the purchase...
Nope, my shoes are Dansko.
Why to I have the urge to step on your new shoes?
Prob. the jr. hi. kid in my wishing I too was able to travel.
That and I can't wait to hear the story about how you get them scuffed up. They are beautiful now, but oh the stories they'll tell when you get back.
Post a Comment