









Well, the day began with a walk to the nearest ATM, which is across a couple of streets from our hotel. While standing there getting our money, I saw a rodent. Bald Man says mouse, I say baby rat. It wasn't scared, it didn't run away, it was very fluffy with a big, longish head - probably about 3 inches long-the whole thing. I remained calm, waited for my husband to get the bucks and moved on. It was a weird-looking mouse; a Valencian mouse.
If you know me at all, you know that this was quite an accomplishment for me.
Our hotel, although quite nice inside, is not in the most beautiful part of Valencia, which is a little frustrating for me. It's not safe enough for me to be walking around the area by myself, so I can't just go out exploring while he works. Luckily, we've had these 3 days without him working, and we have one more tomorrow. I'm searching for a book store where I can buy books in English, several. I've already read 3, and numerous magazines.
Anyway, we found some fabulous architecture today, 1400s-1700s-etc. Look closely at the "arch" photo. It seems as though the builders just said, "Hey, guys, over here! Here are some old heads and pediments we can use for fill." Tomorrow, we plan to investigate further - most places were closed today. We also found an old shopping plaza and an open air market that has been in continuous operation as such since the 1400s. Wow.
We walked around a botanical garden which was huge and gorgeous, and it included the greatest children's area. In one photo you'll see some kids riding bikes. But notice their surroundings.........this place has made a very big traffic area for kids - streets, stoplights, everything! Just in small scale. I LOVE THIS! I'm going to take this idea to my own city's parks office. I would have been in absolute Heaven as a kid here, driving my trike or bike all around this pretend city. My kids would love it too! Also, there are orange trees everywhere; not just in the botanical gardens, all along every street - even streets with rodents in them.
Lastly, in a place where English isn't spoken much, signs, etc. are not too often in English, books and magazines are in Spanish, I'm finding it interesting that American music - from all genres, is extremely popular. Tonight at dinner in our hotel restaurant, we heard 50s bop!
1 comment:
1. LOVE the pictures.
2. I'm so proud of you for remaining calm.(From your description, I think it was a baby rat too. Gag.)
3. That is the coolest park ever. My kids would love it too. I think it's a great idea to get your city to build one.
4. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment